|The Top 10 Chicken Fried Steaks in Texas
Most nutritionists will teach you there are four basic food groups. The nutritionists are wrong, at least as far as our state goes. There are only three basic food groups in Texas — barbeque, Mexican food, and chicken fried steaks.
While we will cover all these groups eventually, today we will focus on the chicken fried steak. I do not profess to have eaten at every restaurant in Texas that serves this delicacy. I have no doubt there are several undiscovered places out there worthy of being on this list. However, as anyone can tell from the size of my waistline and my cholesterol count, I have accumulated vast knowledge in this particular area.
So with that disclaimer, here is my list of the top ten chicken fried steaks in Texas:
1. Wall Street Bar and Grille, 115 E Wall Street, Midland, (432) 684-8686. These guys know the secret to making the ultimate CFS. It's not deep fried, and it's so tender you can cut it with a fork. But, what really sets their version a part is the gravy, which has a hint of garlic.
2. Zentner's Steak House, 2715 Sherwood Way, San Angelo, (325) 942-8631. You get a huge portion, accompanied by some of the best bread you will ever taste. Also, if we ever write a top ten list about onion rings, you will be seeing Zentner's again. When I was growing up, my father and I used to drive 200 miles one way just to dine here.
3. Popo's, 829 FM 289 (Welfare exit off of I-10), Boerne, (830) 537-4194. They feature excellent creamy gravy. Quite possibly the best steak fries you will ever have, with just the right amount of crispness.
4. Country Inn, 1000 E Blue Bell Rd., Brenham, (979) 836-2396. Tender meat, great crust, and some of the best side dishes around, make this CFS a winner.
5. Ponder Steakhouse, 110 W Bailey St., Ponder, (940) 479-2221. A huge, tender cut of meat with awesome gravy make this one of the best around. One caveat — if you want a baked potato with your meal, you have to call ahead.
6. Segovia Truck Stop, I-10 Exit 465, Segovia. This is a very non-descript looking place, and you may be tempted to drive past it. That would be a mistake. They make a CFS that reminds me of my grandmother's, and the mashed potatoes are to die for.
7. Hoover's Cooking, 2002 Manor Rd., Austin, (512) 479-5006. Absolutely the best version in Austin. Beautiful golden brown crust and a great atmosphere.
8. The Bluebonnet Café, 211 Us 281 S, Marble Falls, (830) 693-2344. The portion covers the whole plate, and is smothered in thick, white, cream gravy. Be sure and save room for their famous pies.
9. Mary's Café, 119 Grant Ave., Strawn, (254) 672-5741. Their CFS will melt in your mouth. A king-size portion and awesome mashed potatoes make this one of the best dining experiences in Texas.
10. DeWese's Tip Top Café, 2814 Fredericksburg Rd., San Antonio, (210) 732-0191. Thinly sliced with a flavorful crust, you almost don't need any gravy on this steak. The best onion rings in San Antonio are served here.